Russell Simmons is a Hip Hop pioneer who helped bring the rhymes of Public Enemy, LL Cool J and the Beastie Boys to the masses when he founded Def Jam Recordings back in the early 1980s. He is also the brother of Run from Run DMC.
The music from the Def Jam label plays a significant part in the soundtrack of my life, but Russell Simmons and I have more in common than a love of Hip Hop. He too is a juice junkie. In fact, in one article Russell Simmons said “The best high is green vegetable juice and meditation.”
In an article for the New York Times, where Russell Simmons talks through his typical Sunday, much of his a focus on meditation and green juice.
Russell Simmons is big promoter of plant-based living and describes himself as “vegan, mostly”. He became vegan in 1998 but says that “Every so often I have fish when nobody is looking. I try not to. I do it for compassionate reasons. I don’t want to put anything in my body to obstruct justice. If I wanted, I could drink Coca-Cola. I just don’t want to. It tastes toxic.”
I love reading Russell Simmons tweets (@UncleRUSH). He shares some great motivational advice. Here are 21 of my favourites:
- You have to live your life as if you are already where you want to be.
- A person’s strength is to know their weaknesses.
- The world belongs to people who say, “I can”
- What holds most people back isn’t the quality of their ideas, but their lack of faith in themselves.
- In the end, the overriding factor in whether or not you realize your dreams is going to be you. Not the world. YOU.
- Any kind of lasting success is rooted in honesty.
- Only do shit you believe in!
- When you do good by the world, the world will do good by you.
- Give what u want to receive… If u want happiness make others happy.
- Focused, hard work can accelerate your journey towards enlightenment
- As long as you are passionate about your vision, you should keep moving forward
- You cannot find it anywhere, because it is located inside you… happiness is your natural state.
- Today let your breath be your soundtrack, smile and breathe in every pose
- Embrace struggle… It is your greatest teacher
- Every day set the simple goal of trying to be more awake and less distracted
- As you become more enlightened, the less interest you’ll have in getting involved in uninspiring, harmful ideas.
- Needing nothing is how you’re actually going to get everything.
- Spread happy enthusiastic loving energy… the world will give u what u give it.
- Meditation can help bring you back to a place that you probably forgot even existed.
- When you’re faced with fear and anxiety, don’t medicate, meditate instead.
- You have to start before you can succeed at anything
Subscribe To Natural Juice Junkie
Want the latest information and exclusive offers and recipes?